thyssenkrupp in South America
South America, with close to 10,000 employees, is one of thyssenkrupp’s largest operations outside Germany. The company has been doing business in the region for 180 years.
In 1837, the company's owner, Alfred Krupp, received the first order from a Brazilian customer to supply two engraved cylinders for minting coins. Shortly thereafter, the company built a ship for transporting goods and passengers for Cruzeiro do Sul, a shipping company based in Santos (São Paulo State), and also received the first order for a steam locomotive for the Central do Brasil railroad company.
In 1961, thyssenkrupp’s first plant in South America opened in Campo Limpo Paulista (São Paulo State). This was also the group’s first metallurgical plant outside Europe. This operation boosted the company's performance in a number of industrial segments in Brazil, including the automotive industry, for which Metalúrgica Campo Limpo is now one of the major suppliers of components for cars, commercial vehicles and machinery.
In 1987, a new milestone: the supply of Tupi Class submarines for the Brazilian Navy. These vessels are critically important to national security, and are responsible today for patrolling the country’s coast and the pre-salt oil basins.
The expansion and diversification of thyssenkrupp’s operations continued over the following decades, at pace with the growth of the economy and also through mergers and acquisitions. In 2010, Brazil received one of the largest investments ever made by the company globally: The Companhia Siderúrgica do Atlântico (CSA).
Solid Footprint in the region
- 1 out of 3 new building, airport or shopping mall in Brazil are equipped with thyssenkrupp elevators and escalators
- 1 out of 2 wind power mills in Brazil is equipped with thyssenkrupp components
- 9 out of 10 vehicles produced in the region are equipped with thyssenkrupp components
- Every locally manufactured aircraft is equipped with thyssenkrupp parts